Sudden onset of low back pain:
- Use ice for severe pain.
- Use a moist heat pad/hot towels for moderate to mild pain.
- Lay on the floor with knees bent and gently press your low back into the floor and release. Repeat 10x or more as needed.
- Try laying over a Swiss ball for a mild traction effect.
- Don’t sit in soft chairs or sofas
- Don’t sit in hard dining room chairs. A firm padded or upholstered chair is best when you are having low back spasm.
- Sit back against your desk/computer chair to support your low back.
- Try a padded lumbar support or use a folded towel in your low back to support and keep the normal arch in your lumbar spine
- Don''t Overload Your Backpack Or Purse- Remember to carry it over both shoulders to balance the load (if possible).
- Stretch your legs and back after each hour of sitting- Whether in a car or at a desk, stretching regularly will help to keep you from tightening up or injuring yourself further.
- Sleep on your back with your knees elevated with pillows or on your side. Sleeping on your stomach is never good for your low back or neck.
- Regardless of your particular problem, set aside some time each day or night for complete mental and physical relaxation. This is very important for the restoration and maintenance of health. Exercise regularly and eat as many fruits and vegetables as you can.